The off-ramp overpass that fell onto the southbound lanes of I-75 Monday night did not cause a lot of damage to the highway.
That doesn't surprise Andrew Hermann, past president of the American Society of Civil Engineers, who has been following the story. But he says the fact that the span did fall was surprising.
“Generally, they have demolition plans where they try to take into account all the possibilities as they’re taking down a bridge, to do it safely," Hermann said. "So it was very surprising to hear that it collapsed."
One construction worker was killed and a truck driver injured when a section of overpass over I-75 collapsed Monday night. Cincinnati City Manager Harry Black says they don't know yet why the section of road fell. The overpass that fell used to be the ramp from northbound 75 to Hopple Street. It had been replaced with a new overpass in the last year, and was being torn down. The investigation is now in the hands of the Ohio Department of Transportation and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
The governors of Ohio and Kentucky plan to meet early next year to talk about replacing the Brent Spence Bridge. Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear says they're going to try to find a way to get the project moving. He says any more delays will be costly.
Using a 3 percent inflation figure from the Federal Highway Administration, Beshear says continued delays will add about $7 million per month to the construction price tag. “Folks, that’s $84 million a year,” he says.
Cincinnati's mayor and city manager will be meeting with the streetcar team this week to discuss the dwindling amount of money in the contingency fund. If all worst case scenarios happen, the fund could have just $80,000 left in it. It started out with more than $9 million.
Mayor John Cranley says the message to streetcar officials John Deatrick and Chris Eilerman is this: "We need to have a team that's going to bring the streetcar in on time and under budget, or we need a new team."
There may not be a lot of electric cars on the road now but Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld believes there will be soon and he wants the city to be ready. He's behind a resolution directing the city manager to look at creating more charging stations.
Tuesday, City Council's Education and Entrepreneurship Committee discussed a resolution directing the administration to report on the feasibility of having stations on city property, and creating incentives for privately owned stations. Eight of the nine council members signed on to the resolution.