Cincinnati officials now say the nearly three week pause in construction on the city's streetcar project cost nearly $1 million. That includes more than $637,000 for contractors.
“Cost directly associated with the pause itself for MPD and its subcontractors,” said Chris Eilerman, streetcar project manager. “So it’s largely go to be down time, idle equipment time, those kind of costs basically incurred during the pause itself.”
MPD is a partnership of three companies working on the streetcar project. They include Messer, Prus, and Delta.
A Cincinnati Council Committee tasked with overseeing the streetcar project wants more information on different ways to pay for it. Those funds could be used to extend it to the Uptown area near the University of Cincinnati, or for dollars to operate the loop now being built in Downtown and Over-the-Rhine.
The Major Transportation Committee Tuesday asked for more details on special improvement districts or special assessment districts.
Cincinnati officials said Wednesday they still do not know the cost of delaying work on the streetcar project for most of last month. They're still calculating that number and also the effect on the timeline to build the first phase.
Council delayed the project for several weeks before deciding on December 19th to let it move forward. Officials also say the cold weather has caused some delays.
The first actual streetcar will arrive in the city in March 2015.
"We're going to have a streetcar," says Mayor John Cranley.
Council member Kevin Flynn says he has secured $900,000 per year for 10 years (total = $9 million) from the Haile Foundation to operate the streetcar.
Cranley says he still opposes the project but he won't stop what City Council has decided to move forward on. He will not, however, sign the legislation. "Like I tell my son when he doesn't get his way, it's time to move on." He says he'll be providing project oversight and asking lots of questions to make sure it comes in on time and under budget.