In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, Miami University is stepping up security at its upcoming graduation ceremonies.
University spokeswoman Claire Wagner says there have been no threats or safety concerns but the school is updating measures as a matter of good practice. She adds the changes are basically the same as those already in place for football games. All bags will be checked and attendees will be "subject to visual inspection of person, parcels, bags and clothing capable of concealing prohibited items."
The following items are not permitted in the stadium or arena for the ceremonies:
- Animals (except assistive animals for guests with disabilities)
- Backpacks, bags larger than 11 x 14 x 4, Bota Bags or wine skins, flasks
- Confetti, streamers, glitter
- Containers (common examples include but are not limited to hard-sided coolers, soft-pack coolers, ice chests, picnic baskets, cans, glass bottles, flasks, thermoses)
- Food (persons with small children or medical infirmities exempt)
- Illegal Drugs
- Laser pointers
- Markers (permanent) and/or paint/dry erase boards
- Noise-making devices (common examples include but are not limited to whistles, air horns, bull horns, blow horns, musical instruments, kazoos, bugles, cow bells, thunder sticks, sirens and boom boxes)
- Sticks or poles
- Umbrellas (In case of mild rain, guests are encouraged to bring light rain ponchos, which will be available for purchase at the university bookstore.)
- Weapons (common examples include but are not limited to aerosol cans, mace, pepper spray, firearms, including CCW permit holders, fireworks, pocket knives, knives, spiked bracelets, brass knuckles, martial arts weapons, stun guns, squirt guns, super soakers and chains)
The University of Cincinnati says it also plans to increase security checks as people enter Fifth Third arena for graduation ceremonies.
The following items will not be permitted in the Fifth Third Arena/Shoemaker Center during the Commencement Ceremony:
- wrapped gifts
- backpacks, briefcases, and similar bags
- compressed gases or aerosol containers
- flammable or hazardous materials
- firearms, knives, and other weapons
- Cameras and videos are permitted, but please remove them from their bags.
- Small purses and diaper bags are permitted but will be checked by police or security personnel.
Xavier University says plenty of uniformed and plain clothes officers will be on hand for its graduation ceremonies but the school isn't changing any procedures. The university's police chief reports there is no need for measures beyond those already in place.