The Cincinnati Hamilton County Public Library is planning groundbreakings later this month at three of its branches. Clifton, Reading and St. Bernard will all get new or renovated libraries in 2015.
The three branches will have expanded collections, computer labs, meeting and program rooms and individual study rooms. All were designed for energy efficiency, and LEED certification is being pursued for both Reading and St. Bernard.
From the library's news release:
Clifton Branch renovation/groundbreaking: April 21, 1:15 p.m., at 3400 Brookline Ave. The 10,000-square-foot house on the National Register of Historic Sites will replace the 2,500-square-foot storefront occupied by the Clifton Branch for more than 50 years. Also known as Parkside Manor, this house was built in 1895 for George “Boss” Cox and later became a Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house for more than 60 years. Fraternity member Michael Dever acquired the building and later donated it to the Library. The new branch will have on-site parking as well as outdoor lockers for after-hours hold pick-ups – a first for the Library.
Reading Branch groundbreaking: April 21, 2:30 p.m., at the site located on Reading Road across from Southern Avenue. The new Reading Branch will be 12,000-square-foot branch and replaces the 2,000 square-foot storefront that has housed the branch since 2000. The branch will include a drive-up service and ample parking.
St. Bernard Branch groundbreaking: April 21, 4 p.m., at the site located at Vine Street and McClelland Avenue. The new 8,000-square foot St. Bernard Branch will be built on property donated by St. Bernard. It replaces the 2,000-square-foot facility currently housed in the St. Bernard Municipal Center, space generously contributed to the Library since 1970. St. Bernard will have parking on a nearby lot purchased by the Library.