Cincinnati City Council ended its dispute with the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority Wednesday by approving Metro's operating budget for the remaining four-months of the city's fiscal year. Council had been approving monthly budgets because of a disagreement with the SORTA, which manages the bus system, over how the city's transit tax can be spent. The SORTA Board argued it was only for Metro purposes and had filed a lawsuit concerning the issue. The city countered it could be used for any transit related expense.
The ongoing dispute between Cincinnati and the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority about the use of the city’s transit fund is still dragging on.
Vice Mayor Roxanne Qualls spoke during a special Budget and Finance Committee meeting Tuesday.
"Members of the committee may remember that we passed a one-month budget for SORTA a number weeks ago," Qualls said. "This is another one month budget for the period of February."
The city argues the fund can be used for any transit purpose.
Cincinnati Council voted Wednesday to fund the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority for just one month in the new year. The action is part of the continuing battle between the city and SORTA about the use of the city’s transit fund. Cincinnati argues it can be used for any transit related activity. But the agency says it’s only for Metro bus operations. SORTA has a lawsuit pending on the issue. A Council Member asked City Solicitor John Curp why administrators are proposing a one-month funding ordinance.