The Cincinnati Fire Department is receiving an $8 million grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant will fund 50 recruits.
According to a department spokesperson, Fire Chief Richard Braun plans to hire the recruit class as soon as May. His aim is to have the class finish the required six month training period by the end of 2014.
The federal grant also pays for the newly-trained firefighters’ salaries for their first two years of service.
Cincinnati has nearly seen the end of brownouts in fire stations, with the addition of 41 new fire recruits who graduated last week and a department overtime budget of $2.5 million, Mayor John Cranley said in a city hall press conference Monday.
The new recruits will reduce the number of brownouts of fire equipment from five per day to anywhere from two to zero per day.
But Cranley and Fire Chief Richard Braun said in a city hall press conference Monday that is not good enough.