With temperatures Saturday expected in the mid to upper 70s, Duke Energy is rolling out some tips to help you keep your energy bill low this spring and summer.
Warm weather energy-savings information
- Set your thermostat on the highest comfortable setting. If you're leaving for the day, turn it up a couple of degrees.
- Change your air filters regularly. A dirty air filter makes a cooling system work harder, which uses more energy.
- The arrival of spring means that summer is around the corner. Make sure your HVAC system is ready to keep you cool by having it checked by a qualified heating and air conditioning contractor.
- Close blinds, drapes and shades during the hottest part of the day to keep the sun's rays from heating your house.
- An easy way to rid your home of clutter during spring chores is to sign up for Duke Energy's paperless billing program. Paperless billing is a free service, providing customers the convenience to receive and view their bills online and make a payment via multiple payment options. For more information visit www.duke-energy.com and click on the "Billing & Payment" link.
- For more ways to save money, improve the comfort of your home and become more energy efficient visit www.duke-energy.com and click on the "Save Energy & Money" link.
Duke is also warning customers to be wary of scam artists targeting your utilities. Gayle Lanier, Duke Energy's senior vice president and chief customer officer, says "We urge customers who are contacted by individuals claiming to represent Duke Energy to listen for red flags, hang up immediately if fraud is suspected and contact Duke Energy customer service using the number on their billing statement to review their account."
Customers are also encouraged to keep Duke Energy's outage reporting number handy for their respective utility:
- Duke Energy Ohio and Kentucky: 1-800-634-4300 (gas outages); 1-800-543-5599 (electric outages)
- Duke Energy Indiana: 1-800-343-3525
- Duke Energy customers can also report outages and manage their Duke Energy account from anywhere by visiting the Duke Energy mobile website from their smartphone or mobile device. For more information visit www.duke-energy.com and click "Online Services."