Sat August 2, 2014
Governor Kasich Declares State of Emergency over Toledo Drinking Water
Ohio Governor John Kasich has declared a state of emergency for Lucas, Wood and Fulton Counties after city of Toledo officials found evidence of an algae contaminant in the public water system and advised residents not to drink the water.
Here's information from the Governor's office:
State and local officials are working together to arrange for drinking water to be shipped into the affected areas. These are the recommendations that have been issued:
· Do not drink the water. Alternative water should be used for drinking, making infant formula, making ice, brushing teeth and preparing food.
· Do not boil the water. Boiling the water will not destroy the toxins.
· Do not let pets or livestock drink the water.
· Do not let children bath in the water
· Hand washing is allowed
· Showering is allowed for adults
The contaminant Microcystin is a product of blue-green algae and is naturally found in Ohio lakes, ponds and slow-moving streams. The health effects could result in numbness and dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abnormal liver function, skin irritation or rashes. Contact your veterinarian immediately if pets or livestock show illness.