Contemporary Arts Center Celebrates its 75th
In August 1939, Betty Pollak Rauh, Peggy Frank Crawford and Rita Rentschler Cushman created the Modern Art Society. Within a few years, the Society had exhibited Renoir, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Picasso, Beckman, and many more in the lower levels of the Cincinnati Art Museum. In 1952, the name changed to the Contemporary Arts Center, and in 1964 they earned a space of their own downtown. In 2003, the CAC moved into the Lois & Richard Rosenthal Center for Contemporary Art by architect Zaha Hadid. CAC Curator Steven Matijcio and Research and Program assistant Chris Perbix share some history about the CAC as it celebrates its 75th year.