The energy used for Cincinnati's electric aggregation program will still come from 100 percent renewable or green sources.
Interim city manager Scott Stiles had announced earlier this week that would not be part of the new three-year contract that begins in May. But he changed his mind Wednesday after five council members opposed the contract.
“The decision we have is to go with either the 100% renewable/clean/green energy or 100% brown/coal energy,” said council member Chris Seelbach. “The difference between those two options is 47 cents per month for the average household in Cincinnati, so literally about $5 a year.”
Customers in the city aggregation program can opt out of the green energy and into the conventional program if they want to pay less. Residents and small business owners can also opt-out of the city aggregation program entirely and use Duke Energy or another company as their electric supplier.
Council Member Wendell Young said it sends the right message and in the end helps the region's health.
“So anything we can do to make it easier for Cincinnatians to breathe is something that should be lauded and should not be couched in dollars and cents,” Young said.
Officials said about 65,000 households and small businesses can participate in the city's electric aggregation program, which voters approved in November 2011.